Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Cooker or Stove

When I was reading the British version of "Country Home" I noticed that stoves were used for heating, so you all call what you cook on a "cooker". Hmmm, sounds logical. You call them "cookers" even if they are the electric or gas turn on/turn off type? We call what we cook on a stove and we can have a stove to heat with, too, but they are not the same thing, confusing. I love reading all about it. I'm a nut on information, not anything useful mind you, just nosy I suppose. Thanks for answering my questions. Now I have another, when I watch the imported British T.V. shows I see small refrigerators, under the counter. Is this typical?

3 comments:

  1. One of my English friends said that small fridges are common. :)

    Re cookers, out here (Aus) it seems a stove is the 'normal' 2 feet wide upright oven with 4 burners on top, while a cooker is wider, often with 2 or more ovens and more prestigious (and I will be cynical) often seen in designer homes where cooking isn't really at the top of the priorities, although I do know people who love to cook and have one (and a lot more superb cooks who manage with the basic oven!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, small fridges are common. We often call the tall double wide ones American fridges.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He conocido tu trabajo por la revista Miniaturas de septiembre 2010. Felicidades. Tienes unas manos maavillosas. Tu trabajo es fantástico!!!! Maria José

    ReplyDelete