Thursday, April 29, 2010

Paper Pottery Update


Hi, I am beginning to be sleep deprived! I should be making furniture for the CDHM site to update things but can't get my head around it!
I've been playing with the quilling paper pots I started and I thought I would show you some of the work.
I can't emphasize enough the importance of using Elmer's glue to make the pots good and hard. I smear the inside and now the outside of the bowls with several coats of Elmer's and let them dry overnight.
I have started using my Dremel with the small diameter drum sander on to sand the bowls. It's so, so much easier and quicker.
I made a pot and bowl from the quilling paper from ideas from a birthday card to my husband and a note pad.
I haven't finished the pot from the birthday card, yet. I thought I would show you that one in progress.
I like the red speckled bowl with the handle. It's just 28 gauge green paddle wire and a toothpick for the handle. I drilled using a #72 bit for the wire to go through and used files to shape. To make the surface decoration I glued card stock onto the surface of the bowl.
Then I finished the pot I was making for the tutorial. That's the brown glass stain on the top part of the pot. I wasn't sure you could see it in the picture with the tulips.
I finished these with Delta's Perm Enamel Clear Gloss Glaze.
I'm taking a nap. Kris


I have some more sanding on the pot from the birthday card at the middle seam. The glue is drying.

7 comments:

  1. I've got to try this.. I've got tons of quilling paper and I'm in need of moonshine jugs. Thanks for the wonderful tutorial.
    I love all your paper bowls and jugs.
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are wonderful! I have to get some quilling paper and the tool, never tried it before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are really so very clever Kris, it'a amazing what you've created using this technique.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pottery doesn't look like "paper" at all:))) I love it:)))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Que preciosidad!!
    Un excelente trabajo, enhorabuena
    besitos ascension

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an ingenius method of making pottery! Had to go back and read the tutorial--thank you for that! I will try it!

    Jody

    ReplyDelete