Friday, November 19, 2010

Lamp Shade, Part 4


Part 4
Cut out another center and dry fit. You will have to trim this piece. I find it easier to trim a little on all sides to keep the shape even. Use a glue stick to glue the fabric to the center and trim off the extra fabric. Trim out the hole.
**A tip about using a glue stick. I use a glue stick a lot for upholstery. I found if you use a piece of glossy photo paper for your glue mat when running the glue stick over the card stock, and you will go past the edges of the card stock, the glue dries and you can use the piece of photo paper forever.**
Glue the fabric covered center into the top of the shade.

Trim around the bottom of the shade, evenly, a little less than an 1/8 of an inch. Snip into the corners of the scallops. glue the raw edges of the fabric to the inside of the shade.


At this point the shade is finished. You can glue Bunka to the top and bottom edges. Doll makers have lots of pretty trim to use, check some of them out on-line.




I am going to show you how I make fringe and I am going to glue that to the bottom of my shade.



Unravel an edge of your fabric. Pick an edge, sometimes the fabric's edges will have 2 different looking edges according to the warp and weft of the weave of the fabric. Even the colors of the threads may be different.








Unravel until you can pull 1 thread all across the edge.
















If you have a rotary cutter and ruler use them to straighten the edge. If you don't have those, use your sharpest scissors.

I unravel about a 1/4 inch; the choice is up to you.











Run a line of glue just above the unraveling. Let the glue dry.














Very carefully cut along the top of the line of glue.














Very carefully apply a line of glue, one scallop at a time, to the edge of the shade. Lay the glued edge of the fringe into the glue on the edge of the shade. Don't worry if your fringe breaks, just butt the edges and keep gluing.
**This fringe can be used on pillows, too. After your pillow is finished glue the fringe into the seam on the outside, tucking the fringe into the seam with tweezers.**








Depending on how your fabric reacted to the glue you may not need to add a trim to top of the fringe.











The green silk needed a trim to cover where the glue darkened the top edge of the fringe. The blue fabric looks like I added a ribbon to cover the edge, but I didn't.
I used 2 strands of embroidery floss for the twisted trim on the green shade. Twist the floss until it will twist back onto itself when folded in half.

As I said this is a large shade for a floor style lamp. My shades for a table lamp measure about an inch tall, that's 12 inches in full size.

When I finish Joy's lamp I will post a picture of it for you all to see. I have to turn the base and make her shade in white. I am going to try and make a little pompom trim, too. I don't know about that, yet. I will share if it's successful.

Have fun, expand on it, make it better, and just keep making minis!!! Kris